Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thing 22 Keeping Up

Yes, I've learned so much since mid January when I started my first blog for 23 Things. I feel I can make a decent attempt of using some of the tools that I've explored. I haven't learned as much as would have liked because there just wasn't time at work to do it so I've been doing my best by my lonely at home. But I'm proud I struggled on, even if sometimes it wasn't going as deeply as I should have.
However, I am skeptical at how much I will use RSS or other delivery devices to "keep up". I had subscribed to a newsy email from SLJ and probably read a couple of them before just regularly deleting them. There's just too much to do and your current work problem keeps you busy enough at work to take up all your time. I will try to keep following Things at home but acknowledge that the deadlines and the common purpose in the Neflin program did motivate me to spend hours of my "home" time at it. However I liked reading the Shifted Librarian and the presentation on ways to keep up.
Okay, I'm being negative here and that's not the right attitude and I should be saying I will find the time in my work day. Yes, I will but it will probably be to keep current with the latest thing we have to know/do for my job -- evance or adding Flickr photos to the Branch webpage, or sending out publicity for our events or trying downloading for myself so I can help people. Just responding to email at work keeps me extremely busy and if you're very busy with 2.0 Things you might just miss out on keeping up with people or never get around to doing your Library .1 responsibility -- remember shelfreading?
I hope the NEFLIN blogs will stay there so I can check in with more of them. And I'd like to go back into some of the Things to do them more deeply.

2 comments:

  1. Although I couldn't read all of this post because of the wonderful video that overlay it... I wanted to say I've enjoyed following your progress. Best wishes! John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back to reader.google.com and was able to read your last post, and I know that of which you speak! For whatever reason (budgets being the biggie) many of us are overtaxed with responsibilities to our patrons that simply do not allow us the "FREE" time to work on projects like this. And, I suspect that many of us took this project home with us in the desire to see where it would lead and develop us. And, I suspect that many of those who dropped out along the way did not do so for lack of interest, but for that same lack of TIME! That seems to me a REAL SHAME! But, I thank you for keeping keeping on and sharing your voice! John

    ReplyDelete